Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sandra's birthday cake

These days with the ease of checking out blogs, emails and playing games on the iphone, there's not much push for me to use the laptop which I'll use it to edit my photos and write a post. Therefore you will see that this is quite a delayed post, as my cousin Sandra has celebrated her birthday 3 weeks ago!




We had a potluck party as her house, and had a very sumptuous dinner - roasted piglet, 933 curry chicken and mutton, porridge with tonnes of ingredients, garden of greens (salad), otak-otak, many many durians (D24, mao shan wang, 666), cherries, and of course the best is ah ma's home-cooked dishes with love - curry chicken, nourishing soup!! I contributed the birthday cake and fried dim sum carrot cake ;-)










Turning to the birthday cake, I planned and made a fruity pastry cake thinking it would be a very safe bet. How wrong was I? Somehow the cake did not rise to enough, the top was very hard which I had to cut it away, it was quite dry; nothing close to my earlier 2 attempts which turned out very delicious. I kept thinking why it had gone awry, and like rewinding a tape, I suddenly recalled that little zak was playing with the oven when i was baking the cake! At that time, I didn't give much thought except to adjust back the temperature from 220 to 170 deg C. God knows how long the cake was baked at such extreme temperature? The next time, I should keep an eagle eye on my boy as he's getting very "helpful" and always curious and fiddling with things. And whenever I'm baking, he will push a chair and stand beside me at the kitchen. These extra pair of hands doesn't really help at the moment, and alot of times it made me more busy and sometimes 'irritated'. Nevertheless, I know I have to, and yes I do enjoy these moments briefly for time flies so fast that when he's a teenager, he may be with his friends and do not want to be with the mummy anymore ;-( After finishing this post, I must give little zak many hugs and kisses!!


5 comments:

Bakericious said...

Hi quizzine, the cake is beautiful! I started baking cos of my daughter, thought we can have "bonding" time together. But end up she is making me more frustrated that I have to chase her out of the kitchen hahaha... you are so much patient than me :).

Blessed Homemaker said...

HI Quizzine,
You are still not too late, some of my entries are as late as a few months back :P

And I do agree with you with those extra pair of little hands, though I dislike the mess, I still involve my kids in my bakes so that they will feel involved and after that, they will kindly leave me alone to finish up the balance.

Passionate About Baking said...

Hi quizzine,
Nice cake. Each and every baking incident is an experience isn't it? Hahaha... Sometimes, we just wondered what went wrong. Well, at least you found out that Zak turned the temperature! Ya, do treasure your boy now, at the blink of an eye, he'll be a grown up man soon. Hahaha...*just kidding*

quizzine said...

Hi Jess,
I'm still hopeful that baking will be a good bonding time with my boy, and you too must "grit your teeth" for a while and jia-you!!
And I'm not a patient person as well ;-p

Hi Blessed Homemaker,
Haha, you're making me feel 'consoled'... the problem for me is that if i leave the entry for too long, i may not have the 'mood' to continue writing it anymore.
Hopefully my boy will be as obedient as your kids, these the kids really have a mind of their own (",)

Hi Jane,
Agree with you, perhaps with incidents then we have more things to write in our post?! Keke...
Yes yes must really treasure him now, somehow as a mom, time really flies super-fast (>_<)

Blessed Homemaker said...

My problem is, sometimes I forget what I've cooked/baked by looking at the pictures (eg pancakes, don't they all look the same??), so much so that I decide not to blog about it after so many months :P

My kids are not as obedient as what you think hahaha