The black specks are from the vanilla bean paste!
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
500g plain flour
2 teaspoons bicarbonate soda
170g icing sugar
3/4 teaspoon fine salt
- Melt QBB over low heat and cool.
- Add vanilla essence to cooled ghee.
- Sift flour, bicarbonate soda, icing sugar and salt into mixing bowl.
- Pour ghee mixture in flour mixture and knead well to form a firm dough.
- Preheat the oven to 180 deg C.
- Roll dough into melt-in-your-mouth ball sizes and place on greased tray.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes till cooked but not brown. The cookies should be white and crumbly in texture.
- I replaced vanilla essence with same amount of my favourite pure vanilla bean paste.
- After baking the first batch, I adjusted the oven temperature to 175 deg C, and baking time reduced to 20 min.
- Roll the dough very small (about size of 10 cents coin) so that you can pop them in your mouth; they expand a fair bit after baked.
Update 27.1.2011: I baked another 2 batches last weekend and reduced the sugar by 25%, and baked them at 18 mins for smaller dough size (about 10 cents coin). I think the salt can be reduced slightly too. Overall comment for this cookie is very good.