Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Superhero vs Pocoyo

This is the 2nd time my baby and my niece has a joint birthday party. My baby is 7, and my niece is turning 2. Both are March babies (and me as well!) We had a BBQ party at my aunty A's place and thankfully the weather was very kind to us!

The theme of cake was chosen by my boy - he's into Superheroes now; and my niece's favourite cartoon is Pocoyo! Very importantly, my boy 'designed' the cake, and he's definitely very proud of it! Me too!


This is how the cake should look like.... 


This is how the cake actually turned out.... 







At the same time, I think I've found THE vanilla sponge cake recipe *yipee* Of course, this goes very well with my trusted Swiss meringue butter cream.

I'm copying the recipe here for easy reference. The original recipe is here. (I've halved the recipe to make a 6" round cake, baking time 25 to 30 mins). I've also found a good reference site for pan shape/ size/ baking time/ etc.

Vanilla Sponge Cake
Ingredients:
(A)
150g cake flour/superfine flour
1/2 tsp (2g) baking powder
1/4 tsp (1g) salt
10g milk powder

(B)
60g cooking oil
50g water
4 (75g) yolks
80g castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

(C)
4 (150g) whites
90g castor sugar (original 100g)
1/4 tsp (1g) cream of tartar

Method
1. Sift ingredients (A) and put it aside
2. Whisk yolks and sugar till it turns lemon color
3. Add oil, water and vanilla and mix till well blended
4. Add ingredients (A) and mix it slowly till it forms a smooth batter
5. Whisk (C) till stiff
6. Fold in 1/3 of egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture and gently stir, then fold in the remaining egg white mixture and mix well gently
7. Pour batter into a lined 9" round cake tin
8. Bake in a preheated oven 180C for 35-40 mins or till it springs back when touched
9. Once cooked, removed from oven and invert the cake on the wire rack until completed cooled
10.Removed from mould and decorate it

I'm also submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #40: Rainbow and Ombre Party! (March 2014) hosted by Cynthia of The Baking Biatch, at the following link.

No comments: