Another bun recipe which I bookmarked for a very long time but I didn't get to do it until Grace posted it on FB recently. Yummilicious! Just a minor adjustment the next time I bake them ~ make them smaller and add more coffee!
(recipe adapted from Kitchen Corner)
Water Roux (Tangzhong)
25g bread flour
- Cook 125g water with 25g bread flour at medium low heat, keep stirring until becomes thicken and no lumps left. Cook until 65 deg C, or if you do not have a thermometer, cook until mixture resembles baby porridge.
- Transfer to clean bowl and cover with cling wrap to prevent skin forming.
100g butter, softened
1/4tsp vanilla extract
35g brown sugar
- Using an electric mixer beat the butter and brown sugar until light and pale until the sugar totally dissolved.
- Add in the vanilla extract for the final beating.
- Place the mixture into the fridge until it harden.
- Divide the harden mixture into 8 portions and sit in the fridge until ready to use.
40g icing sugar
38g beaten eggs
1 tsp granulated coffee dissolve with 1 tsp water (can add more for stronger coffee taste)
pinch of cinnamon powder (optional)
50g plain flour
- Beat the softened butter with icing sugar until well combined.
- Gradually add in beaten eggs then the coffee mixture.
- Add in pinch of cinnamon powder with the flour and beat until well incorporated.
- Place the mixture into a piping bag and keep in the fridge until ready to use.
210g bread flour
56g plain flour
20g milk powder
42g caster sugar
1/2 tsp salt
30g beaten eggs
84g water roux
22g unsalted butter
- Put all ingredients in the mixer and using dough hook knead until smooth and elastic.
- Let it proof in a clean bowl covered with cling wrap for 40 mins or until double in size.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and shape it into smooth ball shape. Let it rest for 10 mins.
- Flatten each dough with your hand and wrap the filling into the dough. Seal it tightly.
- Let it proof for 40 mins or until double in size, covered with cling wrap.
- Pipe out the coffee toppings on each bun.
- Bake at pre-heated oven at 200 deg C for 15 mins.